- 2 pounds fava beans in the pod (about 2 cups peeled beans)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices and toasted
- 1/2 cup shaved pecorino cheese
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Remove beans from pods. Cook beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and cool; drain. Slip the outer skin off of each bean and discard skin.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add beans, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until beans are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Place beans in a large bowl and coarsely mash. Fold in lemon zest, juice and mint; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread mashed beans on baguette slices and sprinkle with cheese.