- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal (or substitute whole grain flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, Bob’s grains, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Pulse to mix. Scatter butter over flour and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add strawberries and toss to coat with flour.
In a separate bowl stir together egg, sour cream, milk and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture and gently fold together until all the flour is moistened.
Sprinkle a little flour on a work surface, turn out the dough, and gently knead it a few times to bring it together. Use a little more flour if necessary (this will be a sticky dough) but don’t over mix!
Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and pat it into a circle about 1-inch thick. With a dough cutter or long knife, cut into 8 wedges, leaving the circle intact. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until deep golden.
Cut the scones in half and top with sliced berries and sweetened whipped cream.