- 2 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 leeks - trimmed, cleaned and sliced thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground mace
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Whipping cream, for garnish (optional)
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
Combine broth and milk in a deep saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Sprinkle in oats. Stir well to prevent lumps, then reduce the temperature to a simmer.
Melt butter in a pan over low heat. Add leeks and cook until they soften slightly, about 8 minutes.
Add leeks to simmering oats. Season with salt, pepper and mace and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the oatmeal is cooked. Add extra broth if you would like to thin the soup.
Stir in chopped parsley and serve in warmed bowls. If you like, garnish with a swirl of cream and chopped herbs.