- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable stock, as needed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in thyme and broccoli; cook until broccoli begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Add enough stock to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until broccoli is completely tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
Let soup cool slightly. Carefully puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender or food processor. Return to the pot and stir in cheese, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For a chunkier texture, only puree half the soup.