- 1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup fruit of your choice, fresh or frozen
- 1 to 3 tablespoons oat bran
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- Vanilla extract, to taste
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- Pinch of cardamom, cinnamon or nutmeg, to taste
Optional: any combination of the following "boosts":
- 1 to 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 to 3 teaspoons protein powder
- 1 to 3 teaspoons spirulina or other algae
- 1 to 2 teaspoons almond, hazelnut or sesame butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk
Add ingredients to a blender, cover and blend until smooth. Some of the “boosts” have very strong flavors, so experiment gently until you find the combinations you like — or, add some of your own good ideas!
Substitute 4 ounces of silken tofu for yogurt.
Substitute 1/4 cup cooked whole grains for oat bran.
Substitute powdered soy or almond milk for the dry milk powder.