- 1 1/2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- A pinch of whole black peppercorns
Combine cucumbers, onions and salt in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Transfer cucumber mixture to a colander; rinse well. Gently pack cucumbers and onions into a clean canning jar.
Combine vinegars, sugars and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Carefully pour liquid over cucumbers and onions, using a funnel to help prevent spilling. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours before eating. These may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Jar Sterilizing Instructions: Wash your jars, bands and lids in hot, soapy water. Place empty jars in a large pot and completely cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave them in the hot water for up to 1 hour before filling.