- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup very ripe mashed banana (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
In a separate bowl, mix together banana, sour cream and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir gently with a wooden spoon until combined.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle walnuts on top. Gently knead the dough until it comes together and walnuts are mixed in (the dough will be slightly crumbly). Press into a 7-inch circle and gently cut into 8 wedges with a floured knife.
Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, brush tops with milk and sprinkle with rolled oats. Bake until light golden, 20 to 25 minutes.