- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, drippings reserved
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple extract, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
Whisk together flour and baking powder in a bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together 1 tablespoon reserved bacon drippings, 7 tablespoons butter and granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Beat in 1 teaspoon maple extract.
In a small bowl, mix together milk and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly between prepared cupcake pan.
Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Combine remaining 4 tablespoons butter, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon maple extract in a large bowl or mixer, and beat until combined. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing to incorporate. Continue mixing until frosting is light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.