- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons), at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ripe apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
Cream together sugar, zest and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Slowly add dry ingredients into butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in apricots and walnuts.
Divide batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.