- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, cored and sliced into wedges
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon flax or chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Bring water and almond milk to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in steel-cut oats and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Reduce heat to low and cook until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
When oats are creamy and tender, stir in remaining brown sugar, flax or chia seeds, vanilla and cinnamon. Divide between four bowls, top with sautéed apples and serve immediately.