- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 6 crisp, tart apples like Granny Smith or Pink Lady, peeled and cored
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- Pie crust pastry for a 2-crust pie (see note)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Combine cranberries, hazelnuts and maple syrup; stuff the center of each apple with mixture. Top each apple with 1 tablespoon butter.
Roll out pastry to 1/8-inch-thick and cut into 6 (7-inch) squares. Place one apple in the center of each square and bring corners up to meet in the middle. Crimp edges to seal well. Place dumplings in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and set aside while preparing sauce.
Place sugar, apple cider, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan and boil for 1 minute.
Pour cider sauce over dumplings. Bake for about 1 hour, spooning sauce over dumplings once or twice during baking. Serve dumplings in dessert dishes with sauce spooned over.
You may purchase frozen pie dough, which makes an excellent flaky pastry, or prepare Pastry Dough for Apple Dumplings.