- 1 loaf (about 1 pound) day-old whole wheat bread, cut or torn into chunks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale or chard
- 8 ounces Italian sausage (chicken or turkey), cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted or raw
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted or raw
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted or raw
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup hot chicken or turkey broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Scatter bread chunks on a baking sheet and place in the oven to toast, about 5 minutes.
In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions, celery, apples, sage, rosemary and parsley for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions become tender.
Place toasted bread chunks in a large bowl and top with kale or chard. Pour hot onion mixture over and add sausage, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and cranberries and toss to blend. Add enough broth to moisten well. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon stuffing into a well-buttered 9-inch square casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until stuffing is sizzling and golden on top.