- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tart apple, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Toast walnuts in a 325° F oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
Rinse quinoa in a fine strainer. Put quinoa in a skillet over medium-low heat and dry toast until aromatic, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes. Bring water to a boil in a soup pot. Add toasted quinoa and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or when you can see the white ring around the perimeter of the grain. Drain through a strainer and let sit until cooled to room temperature.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Stir fresh herbs, garlic and red onions into the dressing. Fold in remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.