Our co-op community, January 2018
Sound Consumer January 2018
Looking back on 2017
PCC went through some significant changes in the last year, but what hasn’t changed is our commitment to supporting and connecting with our community. As we enter 2018, we reflect on some highlights of the last year.
PCC’s Co-op Purposes Report
We are proud to present PCC’s first annual Co-op Purposes Report. This report establishes a foundation for what we’ve done in the past and, more specifically, in 2016. We’re excited to share our work in environmental sustainability, social responsibility and food advocacy and how we’re making advancements toward our social, environmental and financial bottom lines. Click here to learn more.
Each quarter in 2017, PCC awarded a grant to a local school or nonprofit organization working on food education, nutrition, youth engagement or environmental conservation. These grants support projects and programs that provide a social and environmental benefit, develop strong communities and improve lives. Our grant recipients also benefit from increased recognition in social media and in our newsletter as we share their community work with our members!
The community grant recipients and projects of 2017 were:
- International Community Health Services – new community kitchen project in Bellevue
- Alleycat Acres – urban site for the Community Village Garden
- Hunger Intervention Program – cooking and nutrition classes
- Camp Fire Central Puget Sound – garden plot in the Colman Park P-Patch
Supporting neighborhood events
All stores participated in many exciting community partnerships last year and we’re incredibly proud of all that they’ve done! To cover all the events and donations of 2017 would take up many pages, so here are just a few highlights from some stores:
- The Columbia City store sponsored SEED Arts Cinema Under the Stars, a summer event of movie screenings in the park across the street. Store Manager Scott McCormick shared about the screenings, “My favorite part is before show time when the families are all picnicking on blankets in the park and children are filling the air with their immeasurable energy.”
- In Issaquah, PCC sponsored Cycle the Wave, an event raising awareness of domestic violence and funding programs to end cycles of abuse. Store Manager Brandy Oliver commented, “We love partnering with Cycle the Wave so that we can support and feed the group of strong and passionate women who participate in this event.”
- Fremont store manager Jennifer Beus was excited for Fremont to be the “official tomato soup sponsor” at Magnuson Park’s Grilled Cheese Grand Prix event, where PCC staff hosted the Tomato Soup Dipping Station.
- Donna Rasmussen, cashier and community engagement star in Edmonds, shared that in 2017 the Edmonds store “donated to more than 40 organizations and participated in three fun-filled in-store events, five out-of-store community events, and an employee school supply drive!”
Supporting NuWaters Co-Op in Houston
Last summer we donated money to NuWaters Co-op Market in Houston, Texas, in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. NuWaters staff were very grateful, writing, “Thanks so much for the generous contribution to NuWaters. As a co-op in a food desert we are almost always facing significant challenges, but the hurricane floods were the most challenging. Becoming a supplier to a disaster recovery team and providing assistance to 10 families, and a disaster recovering funding center for 18 families, was a real learning experience. The whole scenario was a strain on us and our recourses, but we prevailed. And with your help, it was a lot easier. We were a beacon of light to our community and you became a beacon of light for us. There are really no words that can convey what that means to us at NuWaters. So with great love, we simply say, Thank you!”
Feeding our neighbors
Finally, we are very grateful to our community members and shoppers who make our food bank program possible through giving to the annual holiday food drives. In 2017 we increased our goal for fundraising and the community showed up, increasing our donations to partnering food banks by more than $40,000! Our food bank program has been going strong for 25 years now thanks to all of you.
Thank you all for a great year. We are looking forward to sharing the next one together.
PCC is proud to sponsor FareStart’s Guest Chef Night
Thursday, January 25
Seating from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
People helping people make great food and build better lives. What’s not to like? Take part at FareStart’s Guest Chef Night featuring PCC Cooks instructor Darin Gagner, celebrating students graduating from the 16-week culinary training and job-placement program. Enjoy a three-course dinner provided by PCC in support of FareStart’s training programs. Dinner reservations required. Cost per person is $29.95. For more information and to book a table, go to opentable.com/farestart.
January customer service star
Renato Cala, Deli Cook at Kirkland – Renato’s priority is customer service. As a cook, he’s usually behind the scenes in our Kirkland deli, but he drops what he’s doing to step in when counter help is needed. Renato ensures customers are taken care of quickly and with great service!
It’s a new year and we’ve been bolstered by the love and decadence of the holidays. Now it’s time to move forward with intention!
PCC Cooks can help you recommit to your eating and cooking goals, without reinventing the wheel. Let us take some of the unknown out of eating healthy, with A Whole Day of Healthy. Or take the terror out of Knife Skills. Learn to create the things you really love, like Savory Hand Pies and Tarts, or connect with yourself in Mindful Eating for Optimal Wellness.
Cooking more at home is also an ideal way to decrease your carbon footprint, create community around your table, and reduce sodium consumption. In short, cooking is good for you, your community and the planet! So if you need a little boost to help get a quick dinner on the table, try out 30-minute Weeknight Meals. Or create lovely weekend feasts with An Evening to Impress. We are ready to ring in the new year and strive toward those new intentions with you.
Visit PccCooks.com to see our myriad options for winter 2018!