- 2 to 3 medium beets, peeled, cut into thick matchsticks (save tops for sautéed greens)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence, thyme, rosemary or your choice of herbs
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bunches dark leafy greens like curly kale (and use beet greens if they look good)
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 to 2 organic firm apples, quartered cored and sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup lightly toasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 to 375º F. Combine beets, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, herbs and salt in a mixing bowl and toss. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for about 30 minutes.
Peel and chop the garlic and set aside. Rinse the greens thoroughly to clean. Stack the leaves and roll them tightly, then slice into strips (chiffonade). Place the greens with the water in a large saucepan or braising pan. Cover and bring to a boil, letting the greens steam for about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the greens if of excess water, and then add the garlic and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, apples and cranberries, and sauté for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix in the pumpkin seeds, sprinkle the beets on top of the greens and serve.
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bunches dark leafy greens like curly kale, or collard greens
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup dried cranberries
1 to 2 organic firm apples, quartered cored and sliced (optional)
½ cup lightly toasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts (optional)
Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add greens, cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes until greens start to wilt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cranberries, apples and nuts. Garnish with the roasted beets, nuts or seeds and serve.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member