- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled grains such as oats or barley, in any combination
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 juicy ripe pears, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate or apricot jelly
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, rolled grains and hazelnuts.
Combine eggs and milk in a small bowl and stir in butter. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Fold in pears.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
Warm jelly and brush over the surface of the bread.