- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Rapadura or date sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 5 1/2-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup milk (dairy, rice, soy, hemp, almond)
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and coconut. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine coconut milk, milk, coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, vinegar and banana. Using an immersion blender, mix ingredients until creamy. You can use a regular blender or a whisk if you don’t have an immersion blender.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are incorporated.
Pour batter equally into muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool. Frost and decorate.
To make plain coconut cupcakes, omit the cocoa powder and increase the flour by 1/3 cup.