- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
In a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt chocolates and coconut oil, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes.
After the mixture has cooled, whisk in eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir in flour until just combined. Stir in nuts, if desired. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted one-third from the edge comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 25 to 30 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. Cool on wire rack to room temperature before cutting into squares.