- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed chuck shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 2 lime leaves (optional)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Steamed rice, for serving
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
Heat remaining oil and add curry paste. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in coconut milk, stock, lime leaves and beef. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour.
Add peppers and bamboo shoots and cook until vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sugar, fish sauce and peanut butter. Serve over rice, sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro.