- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup small capers, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 15 basil leaves, thinly sliced, or 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 5 ounces feta cheese
- 1 lemon, zested
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and orzo. Bring back to a boil and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, capers, salt and pepper; set aside.
In a bowl, combine orzo, tomatoes, peppers, pine nuts, olives, green onions and basil or parsley. Stir in dressing, then crumble in feta and add lemon zest.
Optional: You may add 1 cup garbanzo beans for extra protein.