- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe peaches, pitted, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stirring to blend. Add vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg. Stir 1 minute. Add peaches; toss gently to coat. Cook until sugar mixture melts and peaches are tender but not falling apart, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes.
May be made up to 8 hours ahead and covered and chilled. Rewarm over low heat before using.