- 1 cup rainbow quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or to taste
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces baby arugula or watercress (or a combination)
Combine quinoa, stock or water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer until the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes off the heat, then fluff with a fork.
Place onions and garlic in a bowl. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over onions and garlic and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving pickling liquid.
In a large bowl, combine pickled onions, peaches, cheese, olive oil, tarragon and 3 tablespoons pickling liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in quinoa and arugula. Add additional pickling liquid, if desired.