- 1 cup black beluga lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 large clove garlic, pounded to a paste with a pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 cups arugula
Place lentils and water in a saucepan; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until lentils are tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain off any liquid and transfer lentils to a large bowl.
Toss lentils with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and olives. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, whisk together garlic paste, a pinch of salt, a few good cracks of black pepper, olive oil and remaining lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
Stir onions, parsley, mint, orange segments and peppers into lentils. Add dressing and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add walnuts.
Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Mix in arugula just before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member