- 5 cups white flour
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons coffee
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) soy margarine, cut in chunks and at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour pans (either two 9-inch pans or one 9-inch by 13-inch rectangle).
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Fold together with a whisk until flour just disappears. Pour batter into pans. Bake 40 minutes for round cakes, or one hour for rectangle, or until cake tests done.
In a double boiler, melt together the chips and coffee. Whisk periodically until smooth with no lumps. Add soy margarine and whisk until smooth. Let frosting set until desired consistency.