- 10 ounces thick bacon or pancetta, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, or to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pasta, either spirals or penne
- Grated Romano cheese, for topping
In a saucepan, cook bacon or pancetta over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, onions and red pepper flakes; cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and pasta. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain pasta, add sauce and serve with Romano cheese.