- 1 whole chicken, cut into individual parts (breasts, wings, thighs, legs)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (such as safflower or sunflower)
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped shallot or sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups delicious rosé wine
- 3 cups flavorful chicken stock
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 nectarines, pitted and quartered
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off any excess.
Heat the oil in a heavy “stove top to oven” pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken pieces well on all sides until browned. Remove the chicken and return the pan to the stove.
Add the bacon, shallots, thyme and garlic to the pan and cook until the bacon is brown but not crispy and the shallots are becoming golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced by two-thirds. Add the chicken stock, apricot nectar, vinegar and honey to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and return the chicken pieces to the pan.
Cover the pan and place in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes and then add the nectarines. Continue cooking for 15 to 25 minutes longer, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and keep warm. Skim the fat from the surface of the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with its sauce, garnished with fresh thyme sprigs.
Options: at this point you may do one of several things:
1. You may serve the cooking juices “as is”.
2. You may put the sauce in a blender and puree it to a smooth consistency. Sauté a few nectarine slices for garnish, if desired.
3. You may thicken the simmering sauce with a little roux (a mixture of butter and flour cooked together to form a light paste).
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member