- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2 (1-inch) pieces cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 3 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1/2 cup small-diced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 14 ounces maitake or oyster mushrooms, main stem trimmed and caps torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 red tomatoes, cored
- 1/2 cup mushroom stock
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Yukon Gold potato, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Toast coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, cardamom and cinnamon in a skillet over medium-high heat until they darken lightly and start to smell, 1 to 2 minutes (no oil necessary). Add turmeric and stir for 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder.
Place 2 tablespoons ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and smoked salt; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute, until aromatic. Add mushrooms, increase the heat to high and sauté, until mushrooms brown around the edges, 4 to 5 minutes.
Puree tomatoes, stock, honey, yogurt, cream and spice mixture in a blender. Add to the pan along with potatoes; simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add peas, cook for 1 more minute. Season to taste and serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member