- 8 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 ounce espresso or strong coffee
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup port wine
Gently melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a metal bowl set over, but not in, simmering water. Don’t overheat the mixture. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream, espresso and liqueur. Remove from the heat and add egg yolks, one at a time, until well blended.
Whip remaining cream to soft peaks. Stir 1/3 of the whipped cream into the mixture to lighten it. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream to make a light and fluffy mousse.
Spoon or pipe mousse into individual serving dishes and chill for 1 hour to overnight. Serve drizzled with cherry sauce.
Place cherries and port in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let cherries soak for 10 minutes. Place in a blender and purée until smooth.