- 1 ¾ cups (7 ½ ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) brown sugar
- ½ cup (3 ½ ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (4 ounces) olive oil
- ⅓ cup (2 ¾ ounces) buttermilk
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ cup grated apple with peel
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup currants (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare muffin pans with liners.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, eggs, oil and buttermilk. Add all of the dry mixture to the wet mixture until combined. Add the carrots, apples, coconut and currants. Stir until just combined.
Fill the muffin cups to ¼-inch below the rim.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops spring back and are no longer wet.
Cool the muffins in the tins for about 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tins and cool them on a rack.