- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided, plus additional for the pan
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup (Grade A dark color, robust flavor preferred), divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Butter an 8-inch square pan.
Beat 1 cup butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add ¾ cup maple syrup and granulated sugar; beat until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes; mix in vanilla. On low speed, blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Blend in yogurt just until no streaks remain. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a tester comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
While the cake cools, beat together remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons syrup, powdered sugar and a pinch of salt until the mixture is light and fluffy. Spread a thin layer on the top of the cake once it has cooled completely.
The type of maple syrup suggested is formerly known as Grade B. Any pure maple syrup is fine, but the stronger flavor of the darker-colored syrup comes through best in baking.