- 1 cup finely chopped cooked turkey meat,
- 3/4 cup finely chopped prepared turkey stuffing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup high-heat oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1 cup thinly sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 quart “Leftover Holiday Turkey” Stock
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes (can be super smooth or super chunky)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped winter greens, such as chard or kale
- Hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper, to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Cranberry sauce, for serving (optional)
In a bowl, mix turkey, stuffing and eggs together. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight. With moistened fingers, form into small meatballs, about 3/4-inch in diameter. They will be moist.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Brown meatballs, turning frequently so they retain their shape, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Keep hot while you finish the soup.
In a soup pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Sauté leeks, mushrooms and herbs for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in stock, stir in mashed potatoes and greens and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Add meatballs and simmer very gently for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve in pretty soup bowls, garnished with sage leaves and offer cranberry sauce on the side.