- 4 oranges
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dried red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 handful pitted black olives
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
Peel oranges and remove the pith. Cut oranges in half and then cut each half into 4 pieces or 1/2-inch slices. Place onion and fennel slices on a serving platter. Lay orange slices on top of onions and fennel.
Mix together oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and salt. Pour dressing over oranges. Sprinkle with black olives and chopped parsley.
Try using thinly sliced fresh artichoke heart instead of fennel or red onion in early spring. Slice artichokes into a bowl containing water and lemon juice, to prevent artichokes from turning black. Drain and lay on a platter.