- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small loaf rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 20 basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Fry bread cubes in oil, turning frequently, until crispy and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool. Combine garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers with vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Let marinate for 10 to 15 minutes. Toss vegetables lightly with bread. Fold in basil, and olives and capers. Let rest for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member