- 3 summer squashes, such as zucchini, patty pan or yellow crookneck squash
- 1 teaspoon marinated chile peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 small sweet pepper, diced
- 3 ears sweet corn, cut from the cob
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs, such as parsley, oregano or basil
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup organic polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Pecorino cheese
Cut summer squash into large pieces. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil, chiles, parsley and a pinch of salt. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill squash pieces until they reach the desired doneness.
SEARED CORN AND PINE NUT RELISH
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and allow to cook for 1 minute, stirring a couple of times. Add corn kernels and continue to cook for an additional minute. Season with a pinch of salt. Remove from the heat and add the vinegar. Place vegetables in a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.Once cooled, add pine nuts, herbs and remaining olive oil.
CREAMY PECORINO POLENTA
Bring water and milk to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Gently whisk polenta into hot liquid and continue stirring until it starts to absorb the liquid and is dispersed throughout. Reduce the heat and simmer until polenta is tender and thick, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent sticking and burning on the bottom.
When the desired consistency is reached, add butter and cheese and stir until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. Top with 4 to 5 pieces of grilled summer squash and garnish with 1/4 cup sweet corn and pine nut relish.