- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered blanched almonds
- 1 pound green beans, washed and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups spinach — tough stems removed, washed and dried
Preheat oven to 350º F. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast until light golden brown, stirring once or twice, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove to a plate and cool.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Cook green beans until crisp-tender. This will vary depending on the size of your beans, so taste frequently to check doneness. Drain beans and then place in the ice bath until completely cooled. Drain beans and dry.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Add olive oil in a slow stream while whisking, to emulsify. Taste and adjust seasonings.
To assemble salad, arrange spinach on a large serving platter. Place green beans over spinach. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Pass remaining dressing alongside salad.