- 1 large or 2 small heads garlic, top third cut off and discarded
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Several sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated or bottled horseradish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place trimmed garlic heads on a sheet of foil. Add herb sprigs and olive oil and wrap tightly. Roast in the oven for 40 to 60 minutes, or until garlic cloves are soft.
Cut each potato into 3 pieces and place in a large pot of water, enough to cover potatoes. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until a knife slips into the potatoes easily. While potatoes cook, heat butter, cream or milk and horseradish in a small pot over medium heat until hot. Keep warm.
Drain potatoes, put back in the pot and shake over medium heat to evaporate any liquid. Pass potatoes through a ricer or mash. Squeeze out garlic cloves and add to cream mixture. Whisk together, pour over potatoes and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.