- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 4 shallots, peeled, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste, or 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups kabocha or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups oyster or button mushrooms, torn into long strips
- 1 1/2 cups spinach leaves
- 16 prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed, or 1/2-1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as needed
- 2 cups Thai purple basil leaves or other basil leaves
Bring broth or water to a boil in a large pot and keep on medium heat.
In mortar and pestle, pound shallots with anchovy paste or miso until becomes a paste. Add it to a saucepan with corn, squash and shiitake mushrooms; let it boil for 5 minutes or until the squash gets partially translucent. Then mix in other mushrooms and spinach and let it boil for another 2 minutes.
Add prawns and then season with salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, rice vinegar, sugar and basil. When it comes back to a boil, remove and serve.