- 3 cups cooked garbanzos
- 3 tablespoons tahini, plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pita bread, sliced tomatoes and lettuce, for serving (optional)
Combine garbanzos, tahini, onions, garlic, spices and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until everything is finely minced, but not pureed, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add 1 tablespoon water to help blend, if needed. Fold in parsley. Form mixture into 12 balls, then flatten into 1/2-inch-thick patties
Preheat a waffle iron and spray or brush with oil, if needed.
Add patties to the waffle iron, close the lid and cook until brown and crisp. Serve immediately or keep warm in a single layer in a 200° F oven until ready to eat.
Serve in pita bread with sliced tomatoes and lettuce, drizzled with tahini.