- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked red beans, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 to 1 pound cooked turkey, chicken breast or thigh meat, diced or shredded (or 3/4 to 1 pound cooked ground turkey)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small lime, juiced
In a heavy-bottomed stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Serving suggestions: Add a dollop of plain yogurt, sour cream, avocado salsa or shredded cheddar cheese.