- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 2/3 cup cashew pieces (I prefer the roasted, salted variety) or hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (leave out if you use salted nuts)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut or 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 cup cooked (warm) brown rice (optional)
- 1/4 cup protein powder (optional)
In a food processor, pulse dates, nuts (either cashews with the coconut or hazelnuts with the cacao powder), salt, cinnamon and either shredded coconut or cacao until well mixed with little bits of nuts visible. If you would like to add rice or protein powder, do so at the same time as the dates and nuts.
Roll into small balls about 3/4- to 1-inch in diameter. If they are not holding together, add more dates. You may roll the balls in either shredded coconut or cacao powder to coat the outside. Serve these up as breakfast to-go, as dessert “truffles” or put into a container with a lid for travel or hiking. They freeze well in bags.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member