- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Roasted peanuts, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
Cream butter, white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add bananas, eggs, milk and vanilla; mix until well blended.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, coconut, baking soda and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to banana mixture, mixing until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until set and lightly crisp around the edges, 50 to 60 minutes.
While the cake bakes, prepare the sauce: combine coconut milk, remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and a generous pinch of salt in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil; immediately remove from the heat.
Cool cake slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm, drizzled with coconut sauce and roasted peanuts.