- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast (15 grams fresh yeast)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cardamom
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- Organic butter for frying
- Strawberry jam and powdered sugar for serving
In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add the milk and bring it to a lukewarm temperature. Add the yeast, cardamom and lemon zest.
Separate the eggs into yolks and whites in 2 mixing bowls. Beat the egg whites until fluffy and firm. Add the sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and beat for 5 minutes. Add the yeast mixture and spelt flour, and mix until smooth. Lightly fold in the beaten egg whites. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
Melt some butter for frying the æbleskiver. Heat up the æbleskiver pan on medium heat. Add melted butter and fill indentations with dough. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then flip the dough using a skewer or fork to make s round shape. Cook for about 5 minutes total.
Serve with strawberry jam and sprinkled powdered sugar. Enjoy!