NEWS BRIEF: FIRES & OUR FOOD SYSTEM: WHAT YOU CAN DO
September 16, 2020
As the West Coast grapples with widespread wildfires, the Pacific Northwest food system is under stress. PCC is extremely fortunate that most of our supplier community across Washington, Oregon and California has been unharmed by the fires. At this time, the co-op will continue to support all our producers the best way we can: by purchasing their fresh, local products to make available to our members and shoppers.
However, across our region, many producers have been direly impacted by the fires and ongoing smoke. Buildings have burned while smoke is choking livestock and damaging grapes still on the vine. Entire crop harvests have been lost, having an unforeseen negative financial impact.
PCC will continue to work closely with our partners. If you are looking to support producers in the region, below is a list of relief funds where you can donate:
- California Organic Certified Foundation (CCOF): Bricmont Hardship Assistance Fund
- Assistance available to any organic producer in the nation facing hardship.
- Neighborhood Farmers Market (NFM): Good Farmer Fund
- Provides support for producers across Washington.
- Community Foundation of North Central Washington: NCW Fire Relief Fund
- Supports fire relief and recovery efforts in Chelan, Douglas and Okanogan counties in Washington.
- Emergency Equipment Solutions: EES Fund
- Facilitates natural disaster relief services to all in need throughout Washington.