Chocolate is an incredibly complex food. Build an appreciation for the many steps and hands that chocolate passes through on its journey from the tree to your kitchen. The first part of the class is Chocolate 101: youll taste a few chocolate components and chocolate bars of different origins as we discuss how chocolate is made, how to shop for it, and how to melt it safely and how- and why- to temper it. Then well take a deep dive into working with chocolate at home to make show-stopping frozen desserts inspired by the Italian-style frozen mousse called semifreddo. Youll learn several dessert-making techniques like ganache, curd and meringue as we prepare two chocolate mousse bases and an assortment of seasonal toppings.
With eggs, dairy, and nuts.
About the instructor: Joanna Lepore Dwyer is a chocolate maker, pastry chef, and artist. She is passionate about creating culinary experiences to encourage connections between individuals and where their food comes from! She holds a certificate in sensory science from The Institute of Food Technologists, a BFA in Sculpture, and 20+ years’ experience in fine pastry, chocolate making, and culinary training in NYC and Seattle including a 10-year stint at Theo Chocolate as head of Product Development.
When she is not helping national chocolate brands develop new products and training QC teams in sensory science, she works with a colleague under the moniker A Matter of Taste to incorporate culinary experiences into Corporate and Non-Profit professional development agendas.
- This is a hands-on format class for adults.
- Class information will be emailed 48 hours before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Blackberry-White Chocolate Semifreddo (blackberry curd, white chocolate ganache, whipped cream)
- Toppings: Blackberry Compote, Brown Butter Cocoa Nib Shortbread, Chocolate-dipped basil leaves
- Salted Dark Chocolate Semifreddo (dark chocolate ganache, whipped meringue)
- Toppings: Roasted Plum Compote, Brownie Cookies, Whipped Creme Fraiche
Saturday, July 1, 10:00 - 1:00 pmRegister for class
Saturday, July 29, 10:00 - 1:00 pmRegister for class
Green Lake Village PCC
Thursday, July 20, 5:30 - 8:30 pmRegister for class
Sunday, July 16, 10:00 - 1:00 pmRegister for class
Saturday, August 5, 10:00 - 1:00 pmRegister for class