Drinking tea is an important part of the culture, with pots of tea brewing early morning, afternoon and evening in homes. Afternoon tea in southern Asia is a time to gather and share masala and cardamom chai as well as small plates of food. A time to catch up and connect. Join Kausar, Pakistani native, for her take on afternoon tea and learn to use spices to make popular foods shared around the table. Make lentil dumplings and learn to fry them to perfection. Learn to use a flavorful spice blend for Tandoori Chicken, enjoyed as a layered sandwich. Build Channa Aloo Chaat made with different textures and flavors, chutneys with crunchy papdi, a crispy cracker. All of these dishes make afternoon tea a memorable part of the day to share with all.
With dairy, eggs, and poultry.
About the instructor: Kausar is a chef, food stylist and cooking instructor with over 20 years of experience in South Asian culinary arts. She was born and raised in Karachi, Pakistan where her mother taught her how to cook. She is the author of “The Karachi Kitchen”, a cookbook featuring classic and contemporary South Asian recipes from her childhood and motherhood. Kausar is best known for her work through Kitchen Craft, an organization she founded in 2009 that offers free nutrition and cooking workshops to women and youth in high-risk communities around Karachi, with the goal of promoting healthy eating and hygiene habits amongst impoverished families. The internationally-acclaimed entrepreneur has served as a chef, food stylist, cooking show producer and host, and culinary instructor in Pakistan and the United States.
- This is a hands-on format class for adults.
- Class information will be emailed 48 hours before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Dahi Bare - Lentil dumplings with tangy yogurt sauce
- Chana Aloo Chaat - Garbanzo beans and potatoes with green and tamarind chutneys and crunchy papdi
- Tandoori Chicken Club sandwich
- Masala and Elaichi Chai - Masala and Cardamom Tea
Saturday, June 3, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
Sunday, June 11, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Only 2 spots leftRegister for class