Fresh and fermented vegetables, the heat of chiles, and the richness of braised meat embody key parts of Korean cooking. The combination of these elements makes for a meal that celebrates the communal nature of Korean eating. Meet Chef Jay in the classroom to explore one of his favorite cuisines. Students will learn how to make some of the special elements that make a Korean meal, from kimchi pancakes to slow-roasted pork belly with radish slaw and rice wrapped in napa cabbage leaves. You'll learn traditional Korean cooking techniques to create flavorful, authentic recipes with regional ingredients.
With eggs, gluten, seafood, and meat.
About the instructor: Jay Guerrero has been working in food for over 15 years. After completing an MFA at Parsons School of Art in New York, Jay's creative interests moved into the culinary world and he ended up learning to cook under Gabrielle Hamilton, chef-owner of Prune restaurant. After time at Prune and then cooking in the Caribbean for a couple of seasons, Jay moved back to his hometown of Seattle and worked with Renee Erickson as head chef of Boat Street Cafe and Bar Melusine (now Boat Bar). In more recent years Jay has stepped off the line to concentrate on teaching at the Pantry, where he's been an instructor for several years. Teaching gives Jay a chance to share his experience in the kitchen so people can feel more comfortable trying out new flavors or techniques at home. When he's not teaching, Jay is learning about espresso, keeping a sourdough culture alive, and cuddling his dog (and 4 year old).
- This is a hands-on format class for adults.
- Class information will be emailed 48 hours before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Kongnamul Muchim- cold bean sprout salad with sesame and garlic
- Kimchijeon - kimchi pancakes
- Bossam slow-roasted, glazed pork belly with radish slaw and rice in napa cabbage leaves
Saturday, February 4, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
Only 1 spot leftRegister for class
Saturday, April 29, 5:00 - 7:00 pmRegister for class
Columbia City PCC
Friday, February 10, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Only 3 spots leftRegister for class
Green Lake Village PCC
Saturday, March 4, 5:00 - 7:00 pmRegister for class
Sunday, March 26, 5:00 - 7:00 pmRegister for class