Each season brings new fruits and vegetables to savor fresh, but also preserve for the future. With demystifying preservation in mind, Ashley is here to equip you with the knowledge and techniques to safely can at home. In this hands-on class youll learn how to use a water bath canner and how to properly cook and process a bounty of jams, pickles, ferments and condiments and how to hone the flavor of each to apply in the kitchen year-round. Shell also discuss flavor pairings as you enjoy samples of each item in class. Click here if you prefer to take this class online.
Vegan; no gluten.
About the instructor: Ashley is a maker of all things, mostly in the kitchen and the garden. After a near decade of global public health work, she has come back to her kitchen again and again as a source of creativity, comfort, and community building. Ashley believes in food as a lens for exploring culture, tradition, and social practice. This is especially try with the time-honored techniques of preservation. When Ashley isn't in the kitchen, she is likely with her one year old daughter in the garden, sewing, or playing with clay.
- This is an in-person hands-on class offered in a PCC classroom.
- Only fully vaccinated individuals, with the last vaccine being given more than 14 days prior, may attend this class. Proof of vaccination (your vaccination card or a photo) and a current ID must be shown upon entry.
- Class participants are required to wear masks for the full duration of class. All food will be packed to go, so that you can take it home to enjoy later.
- Class information will be emailed 48 hours before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Honeyed Meyer Lemon Marmalade
- Hibiscus Orange Pickled Beets
- Curtido Kraut
- Fig Mustard with Thyme and Orange Zest