Typically made for special occasions, Doro Wat (chicken stew with boiled eggs) is a favorite dish of Elenis, who grew up in Ethiopia. Learn to craft this authentic meal as she shares with you traditional spices and techniques, starting with a flavorful stew base. Youll also learn the secrets to perfecting Gomen a collard green stir-fry seasoned with garlic and jalapeños. And of course, no Ethiopian platter is complete without Injera bread. Eleni will demonstrate the steps for this tangy, fermented, teff-flour flatbread that will inspire you to get cooking at home. Soon youll be scooping up East African flavors any night of the week.
With poultry and eggs; no gluten.
About the instructor: Eleni was born and raised in Ethiopia. After moving to the United states in 2001, she worked in accounting for a few years. After her first son was born Eleni found herself at home with a lot of time to recreate the kind of dishes she enjoyed growing up in Ethiopia. This time cooking inspired her to begin sharing those dishes with others, and she established her Ethiopian food business, Eleni’s Kitchen. Eleni’s kitchen has been catering traditional Ethiopian food in Portland, OR for the last eight years. Eleni also teaches Ethiopian cooking classes at Portland Community College.
- This is a cook-along format class offered live online via Zoom.
- One spot in class is good for one kitchen or Zoom screen. A recording will be sent after class to all registered students whether or not you can attend live. Class information will be emailed one week before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Ethiopian Doro Wat (chicken stew with boiled eggs)
- Gomen (Collard greens stir fry seasoned with garlic and jalapenos)
- Injera (Demonstration)
Wednesday, December 7, 5:00 - 6:15 pmRegister for class