As a fourth generation Japanese American from Hawaii, preserving Japanese homestyle cooking techniques has long been a passion for Stephen Toyofuku. Beginning with making dashi from scratch, one of Japanese cookings fundamental ingredients, Stephen will give a window into traditional diner food. Hell continue by using the broth to make Oyako-Don (Seasoned Chicken and Vegetables in Dashi Broth Omelette), a comforting rice bowl perfect for cozy winter nights. Stephen will then pair it with Cabbage Salad with Miso Dressing and give a lesson in pickling to make Pickled Seaweed and Bean Sprouts.
With poultry, seafood, eggs and gluten; no dairy.
About the instructor: Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii where his only cooking experience was at a small Izakaya called Hakkei, Stephen originally moved to Washington state to attend college in Walla Walla. There he catered for wineries before moving to Seattle where he has worked as a cook for some of its best restaurants including Joule, Homer, and Opus Co, and a year at Revel as Sous Chef. Stephen currently runs his own pop-up group called Nekojiru, which focuses on Hawaiian and Japanese comfort foods.
- This is a demonstration class offered live online via Zoom.
- One spot in class is good for one kitchen. A recording will be sent after class to all registered students. Class materials will be emailed four days before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Online classes are nonrefundable. You can request a transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class.
- Scratch-Made Dashi; Oyako-Don (Seasoned Chicken and Vegetables in Dashi Broth Omelette)
- Japanese Stovetop Rice
- Cabbage Salad with Miso Dressing
- Pickled Seaweed and Bean Sprouts
Tuesday, December 14, 5:00 - 6:15 pmRegister for class