After years of cooking and teaching in Karachi, Chef Kausar brings the rich, diverse culinary traditions of cooking with lentils to your kitchen. You'll dive headfirst into some of Kausars favorite vegetarian dishes like sour and spicy lentils and creamy lentil curry while sharing stories behind each vibrant dish. Shell also walk you through the process for crafting authentic Bun Kabab a lentil and potato burger thats a Pakistani street food favorite.
About the instructor: Kausar is a chef, food stylist and cooking instructor with over 20 years of experience in South Asian culinary arts. She was born and raised in Karachi, Pakistan where her mother taught her how to cook. She is the author of “The Karachi Kitchen”, a cookbook featuring classic and contemporary South Asian recipes from her childhood and motherhood. Kausar is best known for her work through Kitchen Craft, an organization she founded in 2009 that offers free nutrition and cooking workshops to women and youth in high-risk communities around Karachi, with the goal of promoting healthy eating and hygiene habits amongst impoverished families. The internationally-acclaimed entrepreneur has served as a chef, food stylist, cooking show producer and host, and culinary instructor in Pakistan and the United States.
- This is a hands-on format class for adults.
- Class information will be emailed 48 hours before class. Our emails can get caught in spam filters or blocked entirely, please contact us if you don't receive the class information.
- Cancellation Policy: Classes are nonrefundable. If you cannot attend, you can request a class credit or transfer to a different class up to 7 days prior to class or have someone attend in your place.
- Khatti Daal (red lentils with spice and tang)
- Street style Daal and Aloo Bun Kabab (split chickpea lentils and potato burger)
- Creamy Daal Makhni (smokey brown lentil curry with cream and butter)